In April of 2016, it was announced that former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir failed a test for Dehydrochloromethyltestosterone (DHCMT) administered on March 20, 2016. That was the date of Mir’s fight with Mark Hunt at UFC Fight Night 85 in Brisbane, Australia. Mir speculated that it might have come from the ingestion of kangaroo meat.
There are unfortunately at least two problems with that theory. Kangaroo meat in Australia is not farmed. It is, in fact, the world’s largest consumptive mammalian wildlife industry. Second, a more sensitive test came available, and a sample taken on Feb. 5, 2016 that initially passed was retested, and failed. The February 5 date falls before Mir’s arrival in Australia.
The fighter was recently suspended for two full years; he issued a statement via his social network.
I have consistently denied knowingly taking anything that would violate USADA’s guidelines. I was originally told that my post fight sample from March 20, 2016, had been flagged for a trace metabolite, following my clean test the previous month on February 5. For this past year, I have been focused on analyzing anything I could within that six week window that could’ve possibly been the cause…testing supplements and reviewing dietary habits. It is frustrating to now be told that USADA has changed their mind about the February 5 test, claiming that the sample they once cleared is now clouded with the same trace metabolite. Even more frustrating is that I’ve been told that the long term metabolite could date back two years, prior to the implementation of USADA standards and possibly to a time when I had a legal exemption for testosterone replacement therapy. As hard as it was to try to retrospectively analyze everything I had consumed within a fairly recent six week period of my life, I would have no idea where to start going back years into my past. What I can do is reiterate my denial and ask you to note that my position on this issue has remained consistent. By contrast, USADA now has two versions of their narrative concerning me. I will discuss this latest development at length on Monday’s edition of my Phone Booth Fighting podcast. I invite you to listen as I will have much more to say on this issue. The outpouring of support that I continue to receive from my fans has been overwhelming, and I am eternally grateful to each of you for that.
Mir will eligible to fight again on April 7, 2018. He has requested a release from his UFC contract so he can try to box or kickbox, but that has apparently been denied.