Home Hot Topics Condit vs Woodley 2 In the Works for UFC 201 or 202

Condit vs Woodley 2 In the Works for UFC 201 or 202

412
SHARE
MMA:-UFC-Fight-Night-27-Condit-vs-Kampmann-2
(Carlos Condit fights Martin Kampmann during UFC Fight NIght 27)

UFC president Dana White was in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, on Friday, ‘Lookin’ For A Fight’ at RFA 37. The fighters looked to impress, and White added some excitement of his own, when he told AXSTV commentators Pat Miletich and Michael Schiavello that UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler’s next challenger will be announced shortly.

White said it will not be at UFC 200 on July 9 in Las Vegas, but will instead be at UFC 201 or UFC 202. Neither date or location has been announced yet. White also said the current front runner was Tyron Woodley.

Lawler most recently defended his belt successfully for a second time, against Carlos Condit, at UFC 195, in one of the best fights of the year. Before that he beat Rory MacDonald in one of the best fights of the ever.

Woodley had only a single fight last year, a split decision win over Kelvin Gastelum. Fight before that he beat Dong Hyun Kim, via strikes.

Lawler most recently defended his belt for the second time against former interim titleholder Carlos Condit by decision at UFC 195 in a Fight of the Year contender. Lawler won the belt in a rematch with Johny Hendricks at the end of 2014, and followed that up with a TKO of Rory MacDonald last year.

next fight will be made official soon.

was in attendance at RFA 37 on Friday night filming “Dana White: Lookin’ For A Fight” and during the broadcast, he told

White said that Ruthless will likely fight top contender Tyron Woodley at UFC 201 or UFC 202. Neither pay-per-view card has an exact date at this time, but they’re targeted for August and September, respectively.

Lawler most recently defended his belt for the second time against former interim titleholder Carlos Condit by decision at UFC 195 in a Fight of the Year contender. Lawler won the belt in a rematch with Johny Hendricks at the end of 2014, and followed that up with a TKO of Rory MacDonald last year.

Woodley has been out of action since a January 2015 split decision victory over Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 183. Woodley has been campaigning for a title shot for nearly a year and it appears that his wish will finally come true later this year.

An official announcement from the UFC is expected in the coming weeks.

SHARE
Previous articleKimbo Slice Receives Next Opponent
Next articleJim Ross Shares Some Advice for TNA
Aaron Portier
Highly passionate MMA Journalist, and I've followed the sport ever since my favorite fighter, Vitor Belfort won the heavyweight tournament at UFC 12. After that I've tried to go to every local MMA event around the Gulf Coast and surrounding areas and decided to make it a point to have a career in some aspect in the fighting sport other than fighting in general (didn't want to ruin my face). I'm currently enrolled at Southeastern Louisiana University working towards a degree in Communication. I cover MMA, Boxing and Football for The Daily Star newspaper in my hometown of Hammond, Louisiana, in addition to working as a promotional writer for a local Boxing promotion known as BoxnCar and I cover boxing for 8countnews.com however SciFighting.com is my home. My main goal is to bring more publicity to MMA in my area and to the sport as a whole as all of us involved with the sport are merely scratching the surface and laying the foundation of what mixed martial arts competition will be further down the road.
  • Ryan Chase

    Nice use of proofreading. So many writers overlook this crucial component in their writing but your particular attention to it really sets this article apart. Bravo!