Home Media Chad Mendes is Ready For a 3rd UFC Featherweight Title Shot

Chad Mendes is Ready For a 3rd UFC Featherweight Title Shot

543
SHARE
(Jose Aldo (left) and Chad Mendes (right), photo: Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

Chad “Money” Mendes (17-2) picked up arguably the biggest and most emphatic win of his career this weekend at UFN 63. Mendes was in fact money when he defeated fellow former UFC Featherweight Title contender and humbled “The Bully” Ricardo Lamas (15-4) in only a round by TKO.

“I’ve been trying to figure out who I would fight after this, if I were to go out there and beat Ricardo. The only thing that makes sense in my mind is back for that title,” Mendes said at Saturday afternoon’s post-fight press conference. “We’ve just got to wait to see what happens with Aldo-McGregor and Frankie-Faber. So we’ll see.

Mendes has suffered the only two losses of his career to the current Champion of the 145 pound division, Jose Aldo.

“I’m kind of just in a weird spot right now.”

However he rebounded from his last title match disspointment with a perfect win from a perfect scouting report on Ricardo on Saturday.

“That’s how I envisioned it in my mind and that’s the way I was hoping it was going to go,” Mendes said. “I’ve watched some of his recent past fights and coming out he throws a lot of weird stuff, spinning kicks and head kick and inside-outside kicks. I just kind of wanted to feel the speed on those, feel the power, and then kind of go from there. And that’s basically what I did. He landed a few of those — some of them I was able to get out of the way — and I just felt confident that with what he had, I was going to be able to stop it and it wasn’t going to do too much damage. So I just walked him down and finished the fight.”

Chad would like to be more active this year as he was pretty dormant the previous year. He wants to make the most of his career and the win over Lamas was step one.

“I don’t want to sit out for another year,” he said. “I only got one fight last year. I don’t want to have another year of just one fight. I’m turning thirty this year. I’m probably only going to be doing this for another six, seven years, so I’m trying to make as much money as I can, getting in there and putting a pounding on my body. So you know, I’ll have to talk to (the UFC). I’m going to be watching the Frankie-Faber fight and the Aldo-McGregor fight very closely, just hoping that I can get back in there and fight for that title soon. And if that’s not the case, if it’s not too far off from being up there in the top-three or top-four, I’ll probably take a fight. But like I said, I’ve got to talk to the UFC.”

SHARE
Previous articleWhy Triple H Dislikes Goldberg and Will Ronda Rousey Return to the WWE?
Next articleMelvin Guillard Prefers to be a UFC Fighter Than a WSOF Champion
Aaron Portier
Highly passionate MMA Journalist, and I've followed the sport ever since my favorite fighter, Vitor Belfort won the heavyweight tournament at UFC 12. After that I've tried to go to every local MMA event around the Gulf Coast and surrounding areas and decided to make it a point to have a career in some aspect in the fighting sport other than fighting in general (didn't want to ruin my face). I'm currently enrolled at Southeastern Louisiana University working towards a degree in Communication. I cover MMA, Boxing and Football for The Daily Star newspaper in my hometown of Hammond, Louisiana, in addition to working as a promotional writer for a local Boxing promotion known as BoxnCar and I cover boxing for 8countnews.com however SciFighting.com is my home. My main goal is to bring more publicity to MMA in my area and to the sport as a whole as all of us involved with the sport are merely scratching the surface and laying the foundation of what mixed martial arts competition will be further down the road.