Undoubtable, Melvin Manhoef has made a big impression on audiences everywhere in his debut performance this evening. Taking out his opponent with a 1st round KO, right hook to the head, Marshall went down and the fight was over. If you don’t know much about Manhoef, you should check out our pre-fight overview of Melvin Manhoef.
Have a look at this video clip of his amazing knock out!
After the fight Bellator President, Scott Coker announced Manhoef would face the winner of the upcoming Alexander Shlemenko vs Brandon Halsey middleweight title fight.
A veteran fighter, Manhoef was a true professional. Leaving the fight with humility and respect.
“I couldn’t plan anything better,” Manhoef said. “These are great fighters, all respect to Doug.”
But Manhoef wasn’t the only star this evening. Rafael Carvalho, Goiti Yamauchi, and Javy Ayala all finished their fights in the first round. The main card went by so fast this evening that Bellator began airing prelims to fill the time between the initial and main events. Thankfully for them they had some really amazing prelims as well.
Of particular note is a young fighter named Julio Cesar Neves. This 20 year old fighter already has a record of 30-0 (including his victory over Poppies Martinez). There was a good deal of speculation regarding the validity of his record, especially considering his age and relatively little known presence outside of Brazil, but you should have seen this kid move. He had an amazing, calm, experienced attitude in the fight, calculating his every move, and even giving Martinez a moment to stand up when he was clearly down in a bad spot. He showed confidence that can only come from experience. Let’s just say, the commentators were stunned, and so was Martinez.
Bellator 125 Full Results
Main Card (Spike TV)
- Melvin Manhoef defeated Doug Marshall via first-round KO (R1, 1:45)
- Rafael Carvalho defeated. Brian Rogers via first-round TKO (R1, 3:06)
- Goiti Yamauchi defeated. Martin Stapleton via submission (rear-naked choke) (R1, 4:37)
- Javy Ayala defeated Raphael Butler via submission (rear-naked choke) (R1, 1:03)
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
- Jesse Juarez defeated Ron Keslar via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
- Chris Honeycutt defeated Aaron Wilkinson via TKO at 4:45 of round two.
- Julio Cesar Neves defeated Poppies Martinez via TKO at 2:16 of round one.
- George Zuniga defeated Granson Clark via TKO at 0:34 of round one
- Jonny Bonilla-Bowman defeated Art Becerra via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28).
- Matt Ramirez defeated Oscar Ramirez via submission (armbar) at 0:42 of round one.
- Joe Neal defeated Paul Ruiz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)