Bellator MMA is took place at the Compuware Arena on Friday, September 12th. Prelims started at 3:45 PM PST on Spike.com while the main card aired on Spike TV. The 124th entry into a series of, what has now become, some very exciting fights! Emanuel Newton sent a message to all contenders that they should take a few steps back from his title.
In a moment of eerie deja-vu, after an interview earlier this week that lead in with this very topic, Emanuel Newton struck down his opponent, Joey Beltran, with another amazing spinning back fist! The result for certain dispelled any doubt that lingered when he scored that awesome spinning back fist knock out on Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal, just over one year ago.
By all accounts a positive, energetic fighter with a sharp mind and a quick wit, he’s shown to doubter’s everywhere that it’s not “just luck” but a good degree of skill that goes into executing such a counter. If you ask him, he’d rarely admit that it’s “all him”, instead giving a good nod to all the elements at play in a fight and in the world but if you ask us, this guy has skill. And power!
At this rate, could he be making a name for himself not only as title holder but also as the fighter known for his spinning back fist? Might be too soon to say, but we’d be hard pressed to doubt the possibility having seen it twice with out own eyes.
Liam McGeary didn’t disappoint either. In fact, he continued to show just how versatile and dangerous he is in the cage. Sealing the deal with a head popping inverted triangle on Kelly Anundson at 4:47 in the first round. His undefeated record continues to impress, and should be a sign to all that Bellator does indeed have some very bright stars in its roster.
Three out of four fights on the main card were finished before the final round. Adding to the moment was recent Bellator acquisition, Ryan Couture. He smothered Tom Bagnasco with a rear naked choke that was called at 3:01 of the 1st round. If he wants to ensure that his UFC run would soon be forgotten, a few more first round finishes should be just what the fight doctor ordered.
Finally, L.C. Davis and Zeilton Rodrigues went the distance with Davis taking a unanimous decision victory from the judges’ table.
Be sure to check out the preliminary card results below and don’t forget to read the stories below for an inside look at what makes these stars tick!
- Bagnasco Replaces Schulz vs. Ryan Couture at Bellator 124
- Ryan Couture Eager to Forget UFC Run at Bellator 124
- Scifighting Exclusive Interview with Liam McGeary
- Scifighting Exclusive Interview with Joey Beltran
- Scifighting Exclusive Interview with Emanuel Newton
Main Card (Spike TV)
- Emanuel Newton defeatted Joey Beltran – KO (Spinning Back Fist) R3 3:07
- Liam McGeary defeated Kelly Anundson Submission (Inverted Triangle) R1 4:47
- L.C. Davis defeated Zeilton Rodrigues Decision (Unanimous) [30-27, 30-27, 30-27] R3 5:00
- Ryan Couture defeated Tom Bagnasco Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) R1 3:01
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
- Adrian Hadribeaj defeated Mike Hamida Decision (Split) [29-28, 28-29, 29-28] R3 5:00
- Sabah Homasi defeated Eric Moon Submission (Guillotine) R2 1:07
- Mike Hernandez defeated Thomas Vasquez Decision (Unanimous) [30-27, 29-28, 29-28] R3 5:00
- Leroy Johnson defeated Adrian Henderson Decision (Split) [29-28, 28-29, 29-28] R3 5:00
- Jason Fischer defeated Tony Hervey Decision (Unanimous) [30-26, 30-26, 30-26] R3 5:00
- Cortez Phelia defeated Eric Ramirez Submission (Guillotine) R3 0:38