So here we are in August and there’s all this talk of Roman Reigns challenging Brock Lesnar for the title at next year’s WrestleMania.
Rumors are that the powers-that-be have decided that Reigns can be the future of the company. It certainly appeared as though the WWE brass was headed in that direction at Sunday’s Summerslam. The announcers Michael Cole and John Bradshaw Layfield gushed over Reigns and his victory over Randy Orton
Reigns may one day be worthy of carrying the WWE title, but the WWE absolutely cannot put the strap on this guy. It’s far too soon, and even more troubling that the WWE would already be planning such a storyline rather than listening to the fans.
The only storyline that makes sense is a returning Daniel Bryan to win the title again at WrestleMania. Whether he beats Lesnar, Orton or Batista doesn’t matter; Bryan deserves the title, not a guy whose character is still developing.
There are at least 10 guys who deserve the WWE title at WrestleMania before Reigns does:
10. Jack Swagger: Experienced, a good worker, has paid his dues.
9. Chris Jericho: A legend and icon, fans love him and he brings credibility to the title
8. Ryback: He was hot, the WWE missed a chance to crown him champion then. They owe him.
7. The Big Show: He should be the most feared guy in the sport. Could carry the title if he’s repackaged.
6. Sheamus: Big guy, great offense, popular with fans.
5. Randy Orton: A legend; a great worker, committed to the sport.
4. Dolph ZIggler: A rising star, an excellent worker; would make a great heel champion.
3. Triple H: A great one; the title always means something greater when he wears it.
2. John Cena: The sport’s most popular wrestler; Will eventually win more titles than anyone else. He is the brand.
1. Daniel Bryan: Super popular, an excellent worker, well-respected. He should be the champion as long as he’s healthy.
There’s no need to build Reigns into a star to challenge Lesnar — there are already ten superstars in WWE that could do so.