Home Hot Topics Vitor Belfort Says the UFC Forced Him Out of UFC 173

Vitor Belfort Says the UFC Forced Him Out of UFC 173

1543
SHARE
Photo via Kimura.se

The saga surrounding Vitor Belfort’s TRT use continues to take wild and unexpected turns.

Late Thursday night, the UFC announced that Belfort had withdrawn from his scheduled bout with Middleweight Champion Chris Weidman at UFC 173 due to the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s decision to ban TRT and would be replaced by Lyoto Machida.

Earlier this morning, Belfort broke his silence on the matter via a statement released on his facebook page which directly contradicts the UFC’s reasoning for his withdrawal. Take a look at the entire statement below (translation provided by Bing Translator):

“I never gave up fighting in UFC 173 and never mentioned it. Therefore, all information posted in any mass media advertising that is not true.

What I announced was that I will be giving up “TRT” and not “giving up the fight” to continue my dream of fighting.

The UFC decided to put another opponent in my place because I didn’t have time to fit the new rules of the NSAC. According to the UFC, I will face the winner of Weidman vs Lyotto within the new regulations of all the Athletic Commissions.

I’m sorry that this happened, and I appreciate the strength and understanding of all fans, sponsors, UFC and athletic commissions .”

Belfort’s statement contradicts a UFC press release that said that Belfort “recognizes that he needs an extended period of time to become licensed in the state of Nevada…[and] agreed to withdraw from the fight in order to allow the UFC’s promotional efforts to move forward on time.”

The second notable point stated by Belfort is that he has been promised a shot at the winner of UFC 173’s new main event between Weidman and Machida.

Should Belfort get a title fight before the end of the year, it will be interesting to see how the lack of TRT affects his performance.

For all of your MMA news, visit SciFighting.com

SHARE
Previous articleONNIT Hemp FORCE Protein Product Review
Next articleUFC Fighter Chael Sonnen Backs Nevada’s TRT Exemption Ban
Daniel Reveles
Born and raised in Santa Barbara, California, Daniel Reveles' interest in Mixed Martial Arts began at the age of fourteen while attending a Fantasy Football draft at a Friend's house. That day Daniel's buddies ordered UFC 88 on Pay-Per-View featuring lauded striker and hometown hero Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell squaring off with Division One Wrestler “Suga” Rashad Evans. After seeing “the wrestler” Rashad Evans put the Ice Man out cold with an overhand right, Daniel became instantly hooked by the unpredictability of the sport. Since that moment Daniel has become well versed in Mixed Martial Arts History and has yet to miss an event. Daniel is currently studying at the University of California Santa Barbara to receive his Bachelor's Degree in Communications with hopes of becoming the next big media mogul. When he is not watching MMA or studying you can find Daniel hanging out with his family and friends or taking in a game at the lovely Dodger Stadium.