UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman said he is looking forward to his next opponent and middleweight title defense.
UFC President Dana White announced on Saturday night at the UFC 168 post-fight press conference that Weidman and Vitor Belfort would collide next year, although White didn’t give a date.
“He’s very explosive and strong and very experience,” Weidman said of Belfort. “He’s good on the ground and on his feet. He’s going to be a challenge for me. I am excited about that fight.
Weidman, 11-0, defeated Anderson Silva Saturday night at UFC 168 after Silva broke his leg in the second round. Silva attempted to kick Weidman, but Weidman block it, snapping Silva’s leg. The former champion collapsed in pain and the referee called off the fight.
Replays showed that Silva broke his leg near the ankle. His bone and leg actually folded around Weidman before Silva fell to the ground. Silva was rushed to the hospital afterward.
Weidman fought two times in 2013, both times against Silva, who was once considered the greatest mixed martial artist on the planet.
Belfort gets a title shot against Weidman after the Brazilian legend knocked out three top contenders in 2013, Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold and Anderson Silva. It will be Belfort’s second title shot. He was knocked out by Anderson Silva at UFC 126.
While Silva was a more all-around, well-rounded fighter, Belfort has shown in the last year that he has knockout power in his legs. Weidman has dominated all of his opponents.
In the first round of Saturday night’s fight, Weidman took Silva down with a punch and nearly finished him. He won the first round before Silva broke his left leg with a kick.
Belfort was a cageside for the fight.