Home News MMA UFC Doctor Says ‘Bigfoot’ Silva is Lying: I Have Never Been His...

UFC Doctor Says ‘Bigfoot’ Silva is Lying: I Have Never Been His Medical Doctor

1280
SHARE
Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

When Antonio Silva failed his UFC Fight Night 33 post-fight drug test, he blamed it on his doctor for prescribing him too much testosterone. Silva explained that a UFC doctor had told him he needed higher testosterone, because his levels were low before the fight. So he listened to his doctor and took the higher dosage which caused him to fail his drug test.

“Bigfoot” has also express that he wants to sue that UFC Doctor. Since then, a doctor has spoken out against him, calling his statements inaccurate.

In a recent report by MMA Junkie, Dr. Marcio Tannure defended himself from Silva’s accusations.

“To be clear, I am not, nor have I ever been, Antonio Silva’s medical doctor,” Tannure stated.

“Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva has made some inaccurate statements in the media recently concerning the circumstances leading up to his positive test for an elevated testosterone ratio,” Tannure wrote in a statement emailed to MMAjunkie. “I am releasing this statement to clarify the facts related to my limited involvement leading up to his fight with Mark Hunt.”

“Approximately seven to 10 days prior to the bout, Antonio’s primary care physician and I discussed the fact that, in spite of the TRT, his levels continued to be below the therapeutic level,” Tannure stated. “His doctor recommended that Antonio increase the frequency of his dosage of testosterone based on his prior levels, and I was asked to communicate that recommendation to Antonio – which I did via email. I also invited Antonio to contact me if he had any questions.

“Antonio’s primary physician and I agreed that his last injection of testosterone was to be taken on Nov. 30, 2013 – one week prior to his fight. I communicated this to Antonio, as well. That was the extent of my involvement in this matter.”

According to Dr. Tannure’s statements, Silva may not have purposely cheated. It seems as though he was just following his doctors orders but things still went wrong.

Whether this is true or not doesn’t change the fact that Silva will still be suspended for nine months and lose his $50,000 “Fight of the Night” bonus.