Earlier today, Georges St-Pierre revealed that he would be vacating his title to take some time off from the sport. In his absence, #1 contender Johny Hendricks will take on #3 ranked Robbie Lawler to decide the new welterweight champion.
The fight will serve as the co-main event at UFC 171, which will take place on March 15 in Dallas.
Johny Hendricks is coming off of a razor thin split decision loss to the now former champ GSP. Lawler meanwhile has picked up three wins in a row this year over Rory MacDonald, Bobby Voelker, and Josh Koscheck, rocketing him to the top of the division.
The current UFC 171 card is as follows:
• Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler
• Hector Lombard vs. Jake Shields
• Myles Jury vs. Diego Sanchez
• Ovince St. Preux vs. Thiago Silva
• Robert McDaniel vs. Tor Troeng
• Alex Garcia vs. Sean Spencer