Home News MMA Anderson Silva: Vitor Belfort Deserves a Title Shot

Anderson Silva: Vitor Belfort Deserves a Title Shot

944
SHARE
Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images

Following his epic first round knockout victory over MMA legend Dan Henderson on Saturday, questions have been raised whether Vitor Belfort’s next fight will be for the middleweight title. His win over Henderson marks his third consecutive knockout victory in a row, having previously finished Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold.

Former UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva believes Belfort has done enough to have earned a title shot.

“I believe he deserves to fight for the title, even because he has been doing his part [to earn a title shot], just like other fighters like Ronaldo Jacare and Lyoto Machida, who just dropped to 185,” Silva told SportTV.Globo.com.

UFC President Dana White has not made any official announcements whether Belfort will get a title shot next, but he did say that he expects big things for the thirty-six year old Brazilian. Silva thinks Belfort has already proven himself worthy of a title shot, regardless of what White says.

“Vitor has been doing great, showing why he was the UFC champion for a long time. He deserves respect. We’ll just have to wait for the next chapters.”

Silva most recently lost his middleweight title to American Chris Weidman by way of knockout in the second round. White has granted Silva a rematch scheduled on December 28th at UFC 168. If Silva emerges victorious, he could very well fight his fellow Brazilian for a second time. The first time Silva and Belfort faced off was in 2011; Silva knocked Belfort out in the first round via front kick.