UFC women’s fighter Sarah Kaufman said that MMA judging, “needs to change,” following her decision loss to Jessica Eye at UFC 166.
“I felt I won that fight 100 percent,” Kaufman, the former Strikeforce bantamweight champion, told SciFighting.com. “The third round was the easier round to score.”
Kaufman made her UFC debut against Eye, who moved up from featherweight to take the fight. The fight was a toe-to-toe war, that many fans believe Kaufman won. Most observers gave Eye the first round and Kaufman the final two. According to fight metrics, Kaufman landed twice as many strikes as Eye in the third round and nearly 40 more strikes throughout the fight.
One of the judges, Ruben Najera, gave the third round to Eye.
“That judge never judged a major MMA fight before,” Kaufman said. “The judging does need to change. The third round judging was a big mistake.”
Kaufman said the loss cost her a significant amount of money.
“It affects me greatly,” Kaufman said. “It’s a big hit that affects me in the future.
Kaufman added that she wishes the decision could be overturned, but knows that’s not possible.
“If there needs to be a rematch to make sure the scoring is in order, I will do that,” Kaufman said. “I 100 percent thought it should have gone the other way and so did a lot of other people.
Kaufman was back in the gym early Monday morning. Despite the outcome, she said she was pleased with how she fought.
“I am happy with what I did in the fight,” Kaufman said. “I am happy with my performance. It’s a fight the UFC was happy with.”
Kaufman previously battled UFC champ Ronda Rousey in Strikeforce’s final women’s fight, where she lost by armbar submission. The Canadian holds victories over Miesha Tate, Liz Carmouche and Alexis Davis.