Home News MMA Exclusive: Frank Shamrock Says He Won’t Attend UFC 20th Anniversary Show with...

Exclusive: Frank Shamrock Says He Won’t Attend UFC 20th Anniversary Show with Tito Ortiz

1170
SHARE
Photo Courtesy of FrankShamrock.com

UFC pioneer Frank Shamrock won’t be at the UFC 20th anniversary show despite friend and fellow fighter Tito Ortiz’s best efforts to organize a group to invade the event on Nov.16 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“Looks like fun, but I won’t be doing it,” Shamrock told SciFighting.com. “Dana White is still a douche bag. He’s an a**hole. Nobody wants to work for him. The people who do work for him don’t like him. I am not going to anything UFC. I don’t care what they are doing.”

Ortiz is trying to organize Frank and Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson to buy tickets and attend the show. The former UFC champions have all collided personally and professionally with UFC President White in recent years.

Shamrock was the UFC’s first light heavyweight champion and engaged in some classic wars in various promotions with the likes of Ortiz, Bas Rutten, Kevin Jackson, Cung Le and Nick Diaz. Shamrock, along with Scott Coker, helped launch Strikeforce and served as a fighter and analyst for Showtime. The former Strikeforce middleweight champion most recently starred as a coach on “Fight Master: Bellator MMA.”

Shamrock has been critical of White for, among other things, the way he badmouths and treats UFC fighters, and also for putting the focus on the UFC brand and himself, not the individual fighters.

“The UFC is the biggest MMA organization in the world, run by a very unlikable man,” Shamrock said.

Shamrock, along with Scott Coker, helped launch the San Jose, Calif.-based Strikeforce, and served as the company’s first middleweight champion, while doubling as a Showtime analyst. He retired in 2010 after a TKO loss to Diaz.

Shamrock is one of the few MMA fighters who has been able to create a brand for himself without the help of the UFC’s marketing machine. Shamrock said he did everything he ever wanted to do in MMA and is now working on a “bio-doc” that will air on Spike TV in October. He also recently filmed three episodes of “Gym Rescue,” with Couture, where the two fighters rescue fitness gyms.

Shamrock now lives in Simi Valley, Calif. and spends as much time as he can with his 5-year-old daughter. Whether it’s on the soccer field or in her kindergarten classroom, Shamrock said he’s trying to be “the father who is there all the time.”

He enjoyed his time with Bellator in 2013 and is optimistic that the company will continue to grow and challenge the UFC as the top MMA brand in the sport.

“Bellator reminds me of the old UFC,” Shamrock said. “It’s just a bunch of guys working together, working hard.  I like what they are doing. I think their brand needs a jumpstart and I am hopeful the pay-per-view will do that.”

Bellator will stage its first PPV show on Nov. 2, headlined by Ortiz vs. Jackson at Bellator 106.

In the last year Shamrock has also been able to work on repairing his relationship with his adopted brother, Ken Shamrock, a UFC legend and former WWE superstar.

“We never had a relationship,” Frank Shamrock said. “We are working on having a better relationship. I was never upset with Ken. I just needed to do my own thing at the time. I have always respected Ken.”

Ken Shamrock has tweeted that he would go with Ortiz to the UFC 20th anniversary show. Frank, however, won’t be there.

“It’s fun, it’s interesting, but I don’t support anything the UFC does,” Shamrock said.

*****

Follow SciFighting.com reporter Joshua Molina on Twitter and add him to your network on Google.