Here’s our weekly rundown of the fights that were announced in the smaller MMA promotions:
In the prelims of Bellator 100, former NCAAA Division I wrestling champion Bubba Jenkins will meet Larue Burley in a featherweight bout. Jenkins is currently 4-0, with no decisions on his record. He made his Bellator debut in July, defeating Mike Barreras with a TKO. Larue Burley is also undefeated at 2-0, and will be fighting in Bellator for the first time.
In addition, K-1 world champion Siala-Mou “Mighty Mo” Siliga will be making his return to MMA against Dan Charles. Mighty Mo has not fought in almost three and a half years, seemingly retiring after back to back losses against Semmy Schilt and Josh Barnett. He is currently 3-2. Dan Charles is undefeated at 6-0, with most of his fights taking place in Rage in the Cage shows.
In other prelim matches, undefeated lightweight Liam McGeary will also take on Beau Tribolet, UFC vet Clifford Starks will take on Joe Yager, and Johnny Buck will face off against Adam McDonough.
Finally, 20-4 Travis Marx will go head to head with undefeated Brandon Bender, and The Ultimate Fighter 8 winner Efrain Escudero will fight 5-1 Zack Surdyka.
Bellator 100 will take place on September 20 at the Canyon University Arena in Phoenix, Arizona. It will feature the welterweight tournament opening round, and will air live on Spike TV.
The full card so far is as follows:
- Douglas Lima vs. Ben Saunders
- Luis Melo vs. Matthew Riddle
- Mark Scanlon vs. Herman Terrado
- Justin Baesman vs. Brent Weedman
- Vaughn Anderson vs. War Machine
- Larue Burley vs. Bubba Jenkins
- Dan Charles vs. Siala-Mou Siliga
- Liam McGeary vs. Beau Tribolet Clifford Starks vs. Joe Yager
- Johnny Buck vs. Adam McDonough
- Brandon Bender vs. Travis Marx
- Efrain Escudero vs. Zack Surdyka
In the prelims, former lightweight tournament finalist Marcin Held will face off against Ricardo Tirloni. Also on the card will be a middleweight match up between Tyson Jeffries and Joe Pacheco, former Strikeforce welterweights Andy Uhrich and Nathan Coy, middleweights Jeremiah Riggs and Peter Aspenwal, lightweights Brent Primus and Scott Thometz, and bantamweights Austin Springer and Brent Alvarez.
Bellator 101 will take place on September 27 at the Moda Center at the Rose Quarter in Portland, Oregon. It will also air live on Spike TV and will feature the first round of the season 9 lightweight tournament with Rich Clementi, Rob Sinclair, Martin Stapleton, John Alessio, Will Brooks, Alexander Sarnavskiy, and Marcus Davis.
The full card is as follows:
Main Card (Lightweight Tournament)
- Rich Clementi vs. Rob Sinclair
- Saad Awad vs. Martin Stapleton
- John Alessio vs. Will Brooks
- Marcus Davis vs. Alexander Sarnavskiy
- Marcin Held vs. Ricardo Tirloni
- Tyson Jeffries vs. Joe Pacheco
- Nathan Coy vs. Andy Uhrich
- Peter Aspenwal vs. Jeremiah Riggs
- Brent Primus vs. Scott Thometz
- Brent Alvarez vs. Austin Springer
World Series of Fighting
A featherweight match up between Georgi Karakhanyan and Waylon Lowe has been officially confirmed, completing the World Series of Fighting 5’s main card.
Karakhanyan is on an impressive seven fight winning streak including a recent victory over Hiroyuki Takaya in Japan’s Dream promotion. He currently holds a 21-3 MMA record.
Waylon Lowe is a UFC vet on a four fight winning streak, all via knockout. He most recently defeated Cameron Dollar at the World Series of Fighting 2. Lowe is currently 14-4.
WSOF 5 will take place on September 14 at the Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey. It will air live on the NBC Sports Network.
The current card is as follows:
• Andrei Arlovski vs. Mike Kyle
• Dave Branch vs. Danillo Villefort
• Elvis Mutapcic vs. Jesse Taylor
• Rolles Gracie vs. Derrick Mehmen
• Georgi Karakhanyan vs. Waylon Lowe
• Gregor Gracie vs. Richard Patishnock
• Darren Costa vs. Neiman Gracie
A lightweight bout between Eddie Ng and Peter Davis will serve as the co-main event of the evening, and Dream FC vet Tatsuya Mizuno will face off against Rafael Silva at middleweight.
Ng is currently 6-1, with three wins in a row in the promotion, all via ref stoppage. His opponent is also 3-0 in the promotion, but is currently coming off of a loss against Ariel Sexton at a Malasyian Invasion event in June.
“This bout will mark a major milestone in the history of the Asian lightweight division as both fighters have made it clear that nothing will stand in their way of reaching a title shot,” said ONE FC CEO Victor Cui in a statement.
ONE FC 11 will take place on October 18 in Kallang, Singapore. It will be streamed as an online PPV. The current card is as follows:
• Champ Soo Chul Kim vs. Bibiano Fernandes
• Eddie Ng vs. Peter Davis
• Tatsuya Mizuno vs. Rafael Silva
• Sherilyn Lim vs. TBA