Home News MMA Carlos Condit Says He Bought Into His Own Hype Prior to His...

Carlos Condit Says He Bought Into His Own Hype Prior to His UFC Debut

893
SHARE

Up until his UFC debut, Carlos Condit had been on a tear through the welterweight division, defending his WEC title a total of three times. However, when he stepped into the octagon in 2009, Martin Kampmann handed him his first defeat in three years.

He’ll get the chance to avenge that loss in just one week at UFC Fight Night 27, and this time, he feels he’ll be ready.

In a recent interview with MMA Hour, Condit admits that prior to their first encounter, he had bought into his own hype.

“The first time around, I felt like there was a lot of hype and it was my fight to lose,” he said. “This time around I’m in a completely different place mentally. I’ve trained really, really hard, and I’m prepared to get in there and fight from bell to bell. In that first fight I cruised a little bit too much. I don’t know, I wasn’t real focused.”

“Yeah, probably [bought own hype],” he continued. “That was a few years ago, and I was a few years younger and more immature. At that point in my career I had talent, it had gotten me a long way. I think with experience a lot of things are learned. In that first fight, going into that third round I felt like I had won the first two and I could cruise through the last round and get the decision. That was a really hard lesson learned. I lost my UFC debut. Martin Kampmann put an end to my win streak. That was something I definitely learned from. Either way, that fight’s behind us, and I’m really looking forward to next Wednesday.”

Carlos Condit and Martin Kampmann will square off on August 28 at UFC Fight Night 27, which will air on Fox Sports 1.

Condit is currently coming off of back to back losses against Johny Hendricks and champion Georges St-Pierre. These recent defeats broke his previous five fight winning streak, and have dropped him to #2 in the division. He holds a 28-7 record overall.

Martin Kampmann is also coming off of a loss against Johny Hendricks, succumbing to punches at UFC 154. He is currently ranked #6 in the welterweight division and holds a 20-6 record.

Both men will be looking to secure their spot at 170, and hopefully be in line for a title shot after GSP and Johny Hendricks face off in November.

SHARE
Previous articleLyoto Machida Wants a ‘Big Fight’, Talks Belfort, Sonnen, and Diaz
Next articleEA Sports Gives Sneak Peak of New UFC Game
SciFighting News Desk
SciFighting's mission is to bring a higher standard of fitness to both the professional athlete and general population through concise reporting on the latest trends in the science of fighting. Our involvement in mixed martial arts spans both the professional and recreational realms of the sports. In addition to reporting on the news in the industry we function as a think tank, researching new facets of combat science and developing new tools and techniques to analyze theoretical and practical applications.