The lineup for next month’s Bellator 99 is coming together, including a new match-up announced for the opening round of the Season 9 featherweight tournament.
In a non-tournament bout, Houston Alexander will step in to replace an injured Christian M’Pumbu, facing UFC vet Vladimir Matyushenko. This light heavyweight bout will be the Bellator debuts of both fighters, who are likely looking to make a big impression as they enter the promotion.
In the main event, Diego Nunes and Patricio Freire will battle it out as part of the featherweight tournament. Nunes was recently cut from the UFC following a decision loss to Nik Lentz. Prior to his release, he held a 3-3 record (7-4 overall, including WEC fights) in the promotion, and currently has an 18-4 record overall.
Freire meanwhile is coming off of a victory over Jared Downing at Bellator 97. The two time tournament finalist is currently 5-2 in Bellator, with a 17-2 overall record.
Bellator 99 will take place on September 13 at the Pechanga Resort & Casino in Temecula, California. It will air live on Spike TV, with the prelims available on Spike.com.
The confirmed card so far is as follows:
- Patricio Freire vs. Diego Nunes
- Houston Alexander vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
- Shahbulat Shamhalaev vs. Akop Stepanyan
- Desmond Green vs. Fabricio Guerreiro
- Andrew Fisher vs. Joe Taimanglo
- Savo Kosic vs. Hector Ramirez
- Derek Loffer vs. Mario Navarro
- Andy Murad vs. Gavin Sterritt
- Musa Toliver vs. Goiti Yamauchi
- Blagoi Ivanov vs. Manny Lara
- Nick Moghaddam vs. Virgil Zwicker