Next week, the UFC will return to Boston for the promotion’s first ever event on FOX Sports 1. To get the local fans ready, the UFC has announced that open workouts, a fan meet up, and a charity dinner will all be heading to the city.
On Tuesday, August 13, Peter Welch’s Gym will host an open workout session with Conor McGregor. The event is set to start at 3PM ET. Following this, a UFC Fan Gathering will take place at the Blackthorn Bar, with a limited edition Conor McGegor poster given out to those who attend.
The next day, an open workout with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Chael Sonnen, Travis Browne, Alistair Overeem, Urijah Faber, Mike Kyle, Yuri Alcantara, and John Howard will take place at TD Garden. The event is scheduled to run from 1 PM ET to 3 PM.
Later that night, the UFC will host a charity dinner to raise money for the Shawn Thorton Foundation. Dana White, Forrest Griffin, and a few of the Octagon girls will be making appearances. Tickets and information can be found at UFCHomecoming.Eventbrite.com.
Lastly, on Friday of that week, the UFC Fight Night 26 weigh-ins will take place at TD Gardens, with a Q&A session to follow. This event is open to members of the UFC Fight Club, and will begin at 3PM ET.
Overall, it sounds like a lot of fun for MMA fans in the Boston area, and a great chance to rub shoulders with some of the organization’s top fighters.
UFC Fight Night 26: Shogun vs. Sonnen will take place on August 17 at 4:30 PM ET. It will air live on FOX Sports 1.
The night’s fight card is as follows:
- Mauricio Rua vs. Chael Sonnen
- Travis Browne vs. Alistair Overeem
- Yuri Alcantara vs. Urijah Faber
- Matt Brown vs. Mike Pyle
- Uriah Hall vs. John Howard
- Michael “The Menace” Johnson vs. Joe Lauzon
- Michael McDonald vs. Brad Pickett
- Max Holloway vs. Conor McGregor
- Mike Brown vs. Steven Siler
- Diego Brandao vs. Daniel Pineda
- Manvel Gamburyan vs. Cole Miller
- Cody Donovan vs. Ovince St. Preux
- Ramsey Nijem vs. James Vick