“Update 3/25/2013, 4:34 PM PST: We are extending this challenge by one week to allow sufficient time for submission of results. The new deadline is Sunday, March 31st. We have also changed the sprint from 200 meters to 50 meters to allow for more accurate scoring. Thanks to MMA_kid for the suggestion.”
You asked for it and now you’re gonna get it! Welcome to the first official SciFighting MMA Conditioning Challenge!
This challenge will provide you with an awesome aerobic workout that will help improve your ability to explode with power and recover quickly. The mechanics of the workout will improve your overall MMA performance. Our resident strength and conditioning coach, Alex Arreguin of Arreguin Elite Fitness, has compiled this routine especially for SciFighting and now we are sharing it with you!
We challenge you to test your abilities and share your scores with the rest of the community. If you’re truly awesome and have a video of you being awesome then we want you to share it wish us. The highest scoring recorded challenge will be featured for one week on our FaceBook Fan Page. Just so everyone know’s how awesome you are!
Now for the challenge:
- You will be performing each exercise in a 3 minute window. (1 minute for each set and a total of 3 sets per exercise)
- Exercise 1: Burpie Pull-ups: Do as many as you can for 40 seconds, rest for 20 seconds, then resume for a duration of combined work and rest of no more than 3 minutes. Record the number of burpie pull-ups you completed.
- Exercise 2: 50 meter sprints: Do as many 50 meter sprints for 40 seconds as you can, then rest 20 seconds. Again do this set 3 times for a total of 3 minutes. Record the number of complete 50 meter sprints you did in the given time frame.
- Exercise 3: Battle Rope Slam: Get a battle rope, fix the center of it to a post or a heavy weight (greater than 100 lbs) then grab both ends of the rope, raise above your head and slap to the ground. Do this continually for 40 seconds then rest 20 seconds. Count the number of times you are able to slam the rope to the ground. Repeat the set two more times for a total of no more than 3 minutes. Record your total slams.
- Add your scores together to get your final score and share that with the rest of us in the comments section. If you have a video to share post it to youtube and send us a link. We will review all submissions by Sunday and feature the best score / video on our FaceBook page for a week.
For those who aren’t sure how to do each exercise we have a video showing you some examples of the motions:
Expect to see one challenge a week for the foreseeable future!